Monday, January 11, 2010

Monday 1/11...



Update:
Camera is working. Here are a few pics of the parsnip, along with a recipe (Thanks Smiths). Enjoy, and there will be more to come..
RG

PARSNIP RECIPE:

Split Pea Soup (my adjustments noted in parens)
3 medium shallots (or 1 small onion diced)
1 carrot (I use 2 depending on the size)
1 medium parsnip (I use 2-3 depending on the size)
1 TBSP butter (I use a little more butter, you could use olive oil instead too)
1 cup dry split peas, yellow or green
2 tsp rosemary, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
salt & pepper to taste

Medium pan stir together butter, shallots, carrots, parsnips and a little salt (I use unsalted butter, so I add salt here). Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until vegetables begin to color. Stir in split peas, rosemary and chicken broth. Bring to a simer and cook until peas are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Season to taste. Serve with garlic bread - we take a whole head of garlic, and put it on buttered sour dough and broil it for 3-4 minutes - and a simple salad of greens with oil and vinegar dressing.

1 comment: